Jana Luksts played a dazzling programme at The Piano Lunaire on Monday, March 9th, 2020. As we celebrate the Full WORM MOON, here are some fun, quick questions for the Canadian artist:
10 Moonstruck Questions:
- Where are you from originally?
Kelowna, British Columbia
- What is the newest must-play piece you’ve heard, added to your rep list?
I haven’t heard it yet, only seen – the new chamber piano concerto by Polish composer Agata Zubel.
- Name three composers you’d share a drink with.
We’ll have to stick with dead composers, since there are too many exceptionally interesting and passionate living composers to choose from! Jani Christou, Gerard Grisey, Frank Zappa…
- What did you want to be when you grew up?
It changed every week! Veterinarian, lawyer, forensic scientist….my mom just informed me lately that I wanted to be a professional basketball player at one point – I am NOT a tall person.
- What was the last piece of new music that really blew you away?
Georgia Spiropoulos: EROR (The Pianist), performed by Alvise Sinivia. I couldn’t believe it. I’ve watched the recording over and over again. It’s described as a “fantasmagoria” for a pianist-improviser-performer, electronics, lights, and animated shadows.
- What would currently be playing if we were to turn on your phone’s music player?
Quite the broad spectrum! Recently played, in order: some French dance pop by Yelle, Mendelssohn Octet, Princess Nokia, followed by the Enno Poppe album by ensemble mosaik.
- What book are you reading at the moment?
“A Brief History of Curating” – Hans-Ulrich Obrist
- Favourite breakfast food?
- Dream vacation?
It’s an endless list – this world has so many incredible things to offer. Lately, I’ve wanted to visit Japan, Patagonia, and Egypt.
- Name your favourite key, chord, tonality or cluster?
I love all the notes! If we’re in a tonal mood, I have a soft spot for G Minor.